Friday, May 19, 2017

It's Crafts/Art Show Season Again!

I work on my writing through the fall and winter, but come every spring and summer, my husband and I are busy not only with our yard, but with creating arts and crafts to tote to outdoor sales. I have to admit, I won't touch a wood saw. That's my husband's department. But I do the painting and add the finishing touches.

We just went to a show in Rochester, Minnesota, and we were swamped all day Saturday. It was probably good that Sunday was slow, because I was dragging after Saturday. Our next show will be in a few weeks--The Covered Bridge Arts and Crafts Show in Zumbrota, Minnesota. If any of you are in the area, you'll find me easily. I'll be the one sitting in a lawn chair while my husband chats and smiles. (Kidding.)








We also do some small hutches, jelly bins, vegetable bins and any size of trunk. We make these items with new wood but paint most of them to look old. My favorite planter we did had flowers painted on the front and a little humming bird enjoying them. Every planter we make is different, mainly because I can never remember exactly what I did to finish the others. This year, besides benches, planters, birdhouses and signs, we did a lot of barn doors and door screens, adding shelves, planters, or whatever we think of at the time. It's been fun. It also helps me get some reading done, since many items are done with layers of different colors of paint. I have to let each coat dry before applying the next, so I do that with a book in hand. :-)








How do you spend your summers? Any craft shows?
Best,
Deb

21 comments:

  1. Wow, Deb. I love the chairs, and the piece that says "Home of the free because of the brave." No, I love all of them, but those immediately stood out. Painting is one of the most beautiful forms of arts to me, one I cannot do at all. I wish you'd have shows near me, but then I know those chairs and all would be hard to bring all the way to CA. Sounds like a fun summer. Thanks for sharing your beautiful artwork via these images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It does make a fun summer. Sometimes a show take so much work that all I feel is exhausted, but I'm always glad afterward that we did it.

      Delete
  2. Your work complements his! If i could get to one of your shows, i'd want to buy something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I set up at a local flea market every Sunday, indoors. Here's hoping you make lots of money this trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every Sunday, wow. What types of things do you sell?I love going to flea markets, but we need another garage now for all the things my husband buys. :-) I'm sure will use everything so-o-omeday.

      Delete
    2. I sell mostly paper. Comic books, books about comic books, magazines, some old toys, movie-related items, old LPs, old medicine bottles... Stuff like that. I have a receipt for the sale of barrels of whale oil from the 1800s, and government pamphlets and order forms for the sale of pharmaceuticals containing cocaine and opiates. Something for just about everyone!

      Delete
    3. wow. Quite a variety. Do you travel all over or mostly around the home turf?

      Delete
    4. I set up at the same flea market every weekend. It's kind of like my own "store."

      Delete
    5. That's cool. We have some art/craft fairs that we've been going to for the last eight years, and one we first attended in 1994 that we still make it to most years.

      Delete
  4. You guys make an awesome team. Your work is amazing! The shabby chic look is great! You do that all yourself???? I wish I could see your stuff in person someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see your bead-work in person someday too. :-)

      Delete
  5. All so gorgeous and soooo creative .. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Wow, these are all so cool! Especially love that top photo, with the painted flowers. So pretty!

    And LOL, as an artist, I can relate to letting coats of paint dry. Reading sounds like a good way to keep from getting impatient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So which of the arts do you enjoy?

      Delete
    2. And do you paint in a certain medium?

      Delete
    3. I love all kinds of art, but when it comes to painting, I've only explored watercolors so far. They've been fun to experiment with!

      Delete
    4. watercolors is the one I've stayed shy from. Too hard. :-)

      Delete
  7. Very creative indeed. And can't beat a busy day taking seed, although yeah, wouldn't necessarily want them back to back. Unless many brought a big money stack haha

    ReplyDelete