Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Analyzing Picture Books--CREEPY PAIR OF UNDERWEAR!


A quick study of the picture book written by Aaron Reynolds and illustrated by Caldecott honor winner Peter Brown. This wonderful little gem is published by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.
A short time ago, I posted a brief spiel about turning your negatives into positives. Around the same time, I had attended a writers’ group (of which I’ve been a member for years).
A fellow writer brought up the subject of a picture book she wasn’t crazy about. She said it was too creepy, this book about creepy green underwear. Imagine that––a picture book about underwear.
But the fact that they were creepy, that they glowed, intrigued me. So of course, I read the first few pages on the Amazon “look inside” feature. That’s what convinced me this was a book for my shelf. So I bought a copy.
It just goes to show that one person’s nightmare is another person’s dream. Anyway, I was a little leery I might not like the book after the first few pages. After all, I do trust the judgment of my writing friend. But then there’s that little warped part of me that she probably doesn’t have. The side that thinks glow-in-the-dark underwear would be cool.
And they really are, when you think about it. At least in the context of the book, where the little boy rabbit character is afraid of the dark, and yet trying to act like a big boy. He thought the underwear were awesome during broad daylight at the store. But he wasn’t so crazy about them when they glowed in the dark of his room. A creepy, ghoulish green glow. So he tries repeatedly to get rid of the underwear, but those creepy things keep mysteriously coming back.
That was a cool aspect of the book, but that’s also what I wasn’t sure about it. There is never an explanation as to how these underwear traveled from place to place, but I can see where a little kid would definitely believe it. I couldn’t help but wonder, did some crazy witch cast a spell on them? Or were they underwear left behind from Chucky? How could they just come back by themselves?
I really wanted an explanation to this. Not that I wouldn’t buy into the cursed underwear or magic spells stuff. Of course I would. I just wanted to know what gave these underwear the power to reappear every time the boy got rid of them. They were purchased in a store, not a haunted old castle. A store, so they were made by a manufacturer. So how did the manufacturer make these underwear magical? (Yes, I know I’m over-thinking it, but that’s me.)
Regardless, I’d still recommend the book to anyone for the sheer enjoyment of the story. It’ll make you laugh if you’ve ever been around a child a wee bit afraid of the dark, and yet one who, despite his fear, wanted to act grown up. Maybe that was you, once upon a time.
The thing is, Jasper, the little rabbit, fails again and again to get those creepy underwear out of his life, but he does finally manage it. I’m not going to tell you how. You’ll just have to read the book. Trust me––you’ll love it.
And then as the story goes, once the underwear are gone and Jasper is comfortable back in his plain, white, boring underwear, he goes to bed. In his dark, dark, bedroom. A bit too dark, he thinks. So now he wants the “glowing” underwear back. But it’s too late.
His solution––he goes to the store and makes a major purchase. Now he has oodles of green glowing nightlights all through his room, and so he’s no longer afraid of what might be hiding in the dark. So this little boy turned a negative, creepy underwear, into a positive––a cool night light.

The book runs a couple spreads longer than the standard 32-page picture book, but it’s mostly illustrations, and wonderful ones at that (adorable expressions). My guesstimate is that it’s between 600 and 700 words.
Get the book Creepy Pair of Underwear!  

Happy reading!

17 comments:

  1. That sounds hysterical, i think i'd enjoy that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think of creepy underwear, it's undies that creep up my bottom! I'll never be a wearer of thongs.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't like that creeping thing either. :-)

      Delete
  3. Deb, you have a way with words. I love your thinking and your analyzing of this creepy pair of underwear book. Of course I'm going to pull it up on amazon now. There is just no other way around it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I reacted. Had to have it. :-)

      Delete
  4. This sounds like great creepy book. The fact that it is a rabbit takes it out of a child's personal fear space. Love it. Glowing Green underwear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it too. It was just weird enough to be wonderful. And using the glowing underwear is a nightlight – ingenious. :-)

      Delete
  5. Doesn't sound my sort of thing - but it's good that different people like different books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everybody has different tastes, and that works well for the large number of different products out there. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. I this second year you will find the whole thing is little bit tougher than the first year as you had to know more in here. more to get more ideas on the thesis, research and term papers writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes you cannot just let things go aways from your side as there had some specific reaction could have been seen through then site the site for more ideas and tips about the educational information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You cannot simply get rid of the books and those picture things of them. If there has picture in there then the things would be easier. link is the best option for the writing service help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The investigation about the form and furthermore the news about the mold business. Furthermore, this thing is helping us to comprehend these look at this styles. So might be this industry is giving you the cash when you begin work in he form industry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This blog is useful for getting data about the weblog generally individuals need to think about the visit their website building achievement weblog segment. Here anyone can get the data about the weblog in detail.

    ReplyDelete