Monday, April 1, 2024

A — ANGEL BURN, ANGEL FIRE, and ANGEL FEVER, written by L.A. Weatherly

 Published by Candlewick Press

Reviewed by Debi O’Neille

With exceptionally drawn-out characters, I hated the idea of finishing ANGEL BURN and was relieved to see there was more to come. Initially, I thought I’d be reading about a different kind of Angel. I’m not an angel-demon kind of reader. Angels are fine, but anything demonic, not so much. Yet this book had me in awe. I’d never read anything like it. And Willow, a half angel, is as relatable as she is lovable. You’ll laugh with her, cry with her and hope with her.

I admit, the jacket description had me leery. I didn’t want to think anything negative about Angels. But it also made me curious, and I’m so glad it did. There’s a lot of action, intrigue, and high-temp stress in this book. At the same time, it touched my fairy-tale heart, tapping into the perfect amount of romance. I had to know if the sworn enemies, human Alex and angel/human Willow, could ever be anything more. They sure couldn’t deny their attraction to each other.

One huge thing to note is the tension. The way it was handled should be a lesson for all newbie writers. There’s always something going on, and as soon as you experience one resolution or semi resolution, another situation turns up to worry over. I was never tempted to skim any of this series.

After I accepted that I was actually reading about evil Angels, I worried what the ending might bring. I won’t spoil your experience of reading the book, but I will say this: I assumed good would prevail over evil, as it does in most books, but in this one, I never once felt a guarantee of that. I had to keep reading.

The second book, ANGEL FIRE, continues with the forces of Angels against humans and good against evil, but also shows that a strong bond can exist between the two. Not only in the romance department, which is offered with a scoop of tension by introducing the only other half angel in existence, Jeb, which naturally results in a new possible love interest for Willow. The triangle of characters leads to jealousies and dangerous curiosities. We also learn about Willow’s father, a sinister angel who does not share her love for anyone. He has his own methods and motives and, unconcerned with who gets in his way, he aims to end the human race.

The third book, ANGEL FEVER, brings the final battle into play, the battle to either save mankind or destroy it. At the same time, tensions have risen between Alex and Willow, and still Seb. The outcome of this love triangle keeps the reader as interested as the celestial battle does, and brings just as many tears and joys.

I can honestly say that this trilogy is my favorite of any I’ve read. That’s high praise, considering I’d never even considered touching an angel/demon book before, and I’m more of the literary or suspense, romantic suspense, mystery, adventure, thriller, psychological thriller, young adult and middle reader book lover. This just wasn’t on my radar, and yet now it will never be removed. A series highly recommended.

Happy reading!

Please note, for the theme of this blog-hop, I will be reviewing books I've read in 2023 through the present, or books read and reviewed by freelance copy editor Amanda Ruzsa, Blood of My Pen.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the series. I'm discussing book genres for the A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reviewing a series is no joke. Good job! - https://www.erinpenn.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's high praise from someone who likes literary, romantic suspense, thrillers and mystery. These are the kinds of books I like as well, which makes me wonder if I'd enjoy this trilogy. I will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think you would. Part of what I liked was the unfamiliar territory constantly surprising me. A lot of tension.

      Delete
  4. I'm not big on love triangles, but I'd consider giving the book a try for its fantasy aspects. I'm glad you enjoyed it, it's wonderful when you find a story that stays with you. I'm also doing book reviews for the month of April. Idea-ist@GetLostInLit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks for visiting, and I'll check out your post shortly! I love reviews!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for stopping by Literaciosu! This series sounds so intriguing to me, it's definitely not something I would normally pick up, but your review has me interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try. I would've never guessed I'd like the genre either, but I loved all three books.
      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete