Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Z — Zig Zag, written by Ellen Wittlinger; reviewed by Debi O’Neille

Published by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.

When it comes to having the right voice for young adult stories, Ellen Wittlinger hands-down will be in the upper crust of authors. Reading her novels, it’s easy to forget the stories were written by an adult. She brings you right into the YA world, making every single voice spot on and unique.

She also has the attitude of a teen down to an art. Wittlinger has sculptured ZIG ZAG to bring you into the secret society of young adults and share their likes, dislikes, attitudes, insecurities, fears, jealousies, and dreams on their terms. This isn’t a fast-paced book, but it is one anyone who’s always wanted to go on a road trip but never had the time or energy to do it will enjoy.

Feeling as though she’s losing in the love department when her boyfriend is about to leave for a summer in Rome, Robin needs something new to happen. And it does. Leaving the Midwest, traveling across the country, and discovering who you are along the way—who wouldn’t enjoy that? This is what Robin experiences, and reading this book, you’ll do more than go along for the ride. You’ll live her wonderful experience.

What Ellen Wittlinger puts into her novels in a masterfully unique way is heart. Sometimes I think she has more heart in her work than she does words. Yep—284 pages—so I’m definitely right about that.

Happy reading, and thank you all for supporting me during this month of early morning book reviews. Besides offering up these reviews, I've had the honor of hopping to a few other blogs and finding some great sites to visit all your long.
Have a great day!

 

 

 

24 comments:

  1. Well done for reaching the end of the A to Z, I'm so looking forward to keeping up with your blog after all this is over as well as your reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your visits. And congratulations on completing the a-to-z.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed at how you kept up with this theme, with a daily review of books that fit each day. So impressive, and your thoughtful, insightful reviews have inspired me to seek out some new authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy with finding a few new authors. And yet I know there's a zillion more out there waiting for me to find. :-) Or so I'd like to think.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on completing The A-Z blogging challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay...so I've always wanted to go on a road trip, so I'd probably really enjoy this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try and you can mentally enjoy their trip as you plan your own. :-)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on making through, and this sounds like a winner. It's been years since I've had a road trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, although will be traveling two states away the first week of June. That's a road trip to me. (Hee!) A lot of potty and snack stops.

      Delete
  7. Hi Debi - great idea for a theme for the 2024 A-Z ... I know I've picked up on one or two; Zig-Zag also sounds an interesting book to read - not for me right now - but sometime. Congratulations on finishing and thank you for your visits over to me - even though I'm not doing A-Z. Relax and enjoy life now - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your posts are always interesting, A-Z or not. :-)Thank you for your visits.

      Delete
  8. Good job finding a book title that started with Z. It sounds like a good one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on making it to Z, thank you for all the wonderful book recs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Debi. Loved the theme you picked for A-Z. It's quite a repository to to dig into. Congrats on completing the challenge on such an awesome note.

    Best,
    Arpita @ https://arpitamisra.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on finishing the challenge. I'm trying to finish up my visiting/commenting as life things got in the way the past week. Sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete