Tuesday, April 9, 2024

H — HOUSE RULES written by Jodi Picoult; reviewed by Debi O’Neille

Published by Atria Books, a division of Simon & Schuster.

It might be a good idea not to read the Amazon reviews on this book before you give it the chance it deserves, and one you won’t regret giving. I skimmed a few reviews on HOUSE RULES before I read the book, though it wasn’t a question as to whether or not I was going to purchase it. The only question I had at the time was which Jodi Picoult book was I going to read next.

I have to admit, I sat up a little straighter as I read the reviews. Shocked, surprised and often dumbfounded. A number of readers ranted about there not being a satisfying ending. I couldn’t help but wonder, did they read the same ending I did? I found Picoult’s ending beyond satisfying.

I get it, though. Different readers, different opinions.

In my humble opinion, Picoult brings you into the family life of an 18-year-old man-boy with Asperger’s syndrome, Jacob Hunt, but also into the legal drama and courtroom action that decides his fate and causes his mother torment. He’s the main suspect in a murder. Being 18, the law expects him to speak for himself and defend himself. Make his own decisions. 

Yet, Jacob's Asperger’s kick's his intelligence aside and makes communication and comprehending or recognizing social cues as difficult for him as programming a computer would be for me (Anything beyond on/off switches confuses me). With that in mind, how can he be expected to aid in his own defense? And yet, with his high IQ, finding him legally incompetent to stand trial won’t happen.

HOUSE RULES may not hand the ending to you on a platter, but I didn’t feel I had to work for it either. It’s there, but you do have to think about the ending, which I believe is exactly why the author wrote it the way she did. After all, the story unfolds with miscommunication, misinterpretation and confusion at the heart of it. HOUSE RULES shows how misinterpreted statements by someone who believes he’s being perfectly clear can cause havoc. In Jacob’s mind, he told authorities and his family the truth all along.

It is when you understand Jacob’s way of thinking that you’ll understand how this nightmare came to be. Laying the book out the way she did, the author let us live Jacob’s confusion and frustration, and we got to live the same from the eyes of those he loves. This is not a book to skip over. Read the entire story. Think about the ending, as you live it in Jacob’s shoes, then in his mother’s shoes and his brother’s. You’ll no doubt hurt for Jacob and worry for him just as much as his family does. And you’ll worry for them.

Warning: do not read this book if you don’t think you can handle the stress of a trial or the stress of being a defendant, because trust me, Jodi Picoult takes you there and ties your hands so that you can do no more than these very real people of HOUSE RULES could do.

Happy reading!

18 comments:

  1. I do love your reviews, you do seem to be very fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read anything by Jodi Picoult yet. Perhaps this one is where I will start. Great letter H post. Thanks for sharing.

    Stopping in from A-to-Z: https://brewingcoffeetwistingwordsbreakingpencils.ca/2024/04/09/holographic-puzzle/#comment-7711

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. I'll check out your blog now.

      Delete
  3. Great review. Bad reviews on books I think are classics are always a head scratcher.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate honest reviews, though I don't see the point in being crudely critical. There's always something good about a book, even if it's one I didn't care for. If nothing else, the subject matter must be good or I want to bother with it in the first place. But I don't like to publicly drool over a book that I didn't care for it all. And a bad review on a classic? I guess that would be confusing as the review just said I didn't care for the book. And that might really mean, I didn't understand the book. I don't like to say I don't care for a book unless I explain why I don't care for it, because my reason for not caring for it might be the reason somebody else wants to buy it right away.
      I have read a few negative reviews that actually made me want to read the books. :-)

      Delete
  4. I've read a couple of Jodi Picoult books, and they just aren't for me, but all readers are different. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Agree. I have one daughter who loves them, can't get enough of them, and another daughter who can take them or leave them and often doesn't finish them. Go figure.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. You sound like my reviewer Susan. I think she's ready all of Jodi Picoult books. I don't think I've read any of them. I always think of them as being more of a romance novel than I like but I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She might have written something with a lot of romance to it, but nothing comes to mind right now. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read anything by Jodi Picoult but you convinced me. Just checked out a couple for my Kindle from Libby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She covers so many topics, you're bound to find a few you really enjoy. She doesn't hold back anything, and yet she always brings the deepest core of humanity to the surface.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It is. I was very nervous for every court date.

      Delete
  8. I haven't read anything by this author, but this sounds interesting. I knew a lady once who was very frustrated because her son had autism and people basically wanted him to be normal and there was no way for her to make them understand that he saw the world differently but its the same world. she thought that people should meet him halfway. so i'm looking forward to seeing how jodi picoult portrays the issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This author is known for tackling tough situations, and taking deep into the human condition. Generally, even when the devils advocate in me wants to argue a point with her, I usually see that she covers all angles of an issue and lets you make your own decisions by bringing you into the story as a person. She is a truly gifted author. I think you'll like this book.

      Delete
  9. I know what you mean, sometimes reviews are confusing in that it feels as though you read a completely different book than those reviewers!
    Love your idea of a review a day for the A to Z!
    Sorry, blogger won't let me sign in!
    Deniz at https://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see your comment until a week after you posted it. I should always check back at the day before. Anyway, thanks for stopping by.

      Delete