Monday, April 15, 2024

M — MYSTIC RIVER, written by Dennis Lehane; reviewed by Amanda Ruzsa, Blood of My Pen, freelance copy editor.

Published by William Morrow.

As a suspenseful murder mystery, MYSTIC RIVER does not disappoint. I could not put this book down.

In 1975, three boys of working-class Boston families are signing their names in the wet cement of the city sidewalk with a stick when a car pulls up with two supposed police officers. One gets out of the car and has a chat with the boys. Knowing they were not to be “vandalizing” a new sidewalk, the kids expect a harsh talking to. But this officer insists they go for a ride. One boy gets into the car, the other two don’t; yet all three boys are forever changed from then on.

Twenty-five years later, Sean is a detective. Jimmy is an ex-con. Dave, the one who’d gotten into that car back in 1975, is trying to feel normal. And now they all meet again when Jimmy’s 19-year-old daughter turns up missing.

There are a lot of family and social dynamics in this novel. Lehane brings us inside the mind of each character. We are completely immersed in their world and understand why each of them does what they do. I couldn’t put this book down.

Readers will need to examine and question their own stereotypes and beliefs. Can it be that what seems so clearly obvious and right in front of us is only a product of our own prejudice? Maybe. Maybe not. But here’s a sure thing: MYSTIC RIVER, a superiorly written novel, is well worth your time.

Enjoy the read! Amanda Ruzsa, Blood of My Pen

10 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read this book for years! Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the movie, and what's funny is that this movie, and one specific seen in it, has been popping into my head at random times a lot lately. Maybe it's a sign?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds good. I will have to recommend it to my mystery book club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll find a lot of mystery buffs moving this one up on their lists of faves.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for that book review, it sounds interesting!

    I've been thinking about buying an interesting book I haven't read before, perhaps I'll add that to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'd like to read this just because the setting is fairly local to me. Itd be like seeing what the neighbors are up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun. My husband is always looking out the window (whenever the dog barks to alert us about something). I don't look (and used to the dog barking at every bicyclist or jogger passing our house), but do I giggle when he tells me what our neighbors are up to. Who got a new lawn chair, whose grandkids are over visiting, and who's getting in their car all dressed up, no doubt going somewhere. Someday I might create a cartoon with him peeping out the window like some of the old TV shows, where it was always the wife checking on the neighbors. Hee!

      Delete