Thursday, April 18, 2024

P — PERCY JACKSON, THE LAST OLYMPIAN (series book 5), written by Rick Riordan; reviewed by Debi O’Neille.

 Published by Disney Hyperion

 I bought this book for my grandson, and because I’m a sneak and love stories for middle-grade and young adult, I read it (carefully so I didn't snap the binding) before I dropped it into a Christmas bag and set it under the tree for my unsuspecting grandson. Sneaky, I know.

Sneakiness aside, I enjoyed PERCY JACKSON, THE LAST OLYMPIAN. Anyone who has read any of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books is going to be excited about this one, the fifth in the series. There’s a lot of continuing setup for a big battle to come, and newbie writers should take note of how Riordan stretches out the tension for the coming battle—an amazing talent! Talk about stress. This book is nonstop action, and what’s more, as if it were written just for me, there's a touch of romance given with a first kiss. Just want my fairy-tale heart ordered.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting!

    Have you ever seen the movie Peaceful Warrior? It's one of my favorite movies that's about a gymnast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to carve out time to read the third of this series, but this month is just hard. When I give books to my nieces and nephews, I read the book first. Can't give them a bad book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read a YA but the books were usually intended for me, lol. I've heard a lot of good things about this series I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually liked studying Greek mythology back in high school, though it probably helped that we had an excellent teacher. Anyway, I still remember to this day (and it's been a lot of them) I lot of the stories I learned. They were always exciting. So I knew this series was going to be good as long as the writer was good, and he is. I think you'll enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. I read a couple of these books (maybe more) but then the series kind of exploded (or maybe there were spin off series) and I couldn't keep up so I gave up. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read different types of books at different times, whatever I'm in the mood for. But then when I come to a series that I really like, I'll read three or four of them in a row. It takes me longer to get through a series this way, but I eventually get there. :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm with you, I would have read it, too.

    ReplyDelete