Monday, April 8, 2024

G — GIRL IN PIECES, written by Kathleen Glasgow; reviewed by Debi O’Neille.

Published by Delacorte Press.

This is one of the best young adult novels of all time. That said, it was a hard read. GIRL IN PIECES is about 17-year-old Charlotte Davis. The book starts out with a bang having Charlotte wake up in a psych ward. How can that not get your curiosity up? And from there, the book just gets better and better. The thing is, it’s not just the subject matter that tugs at your heart. She does, Charlotte. The character who is no longer a character will draw you in. You will ache for her and you will root for her. GIRL IN PIECES will make a reader out of non-readers.

To be honest, I’ve never understood the need some people have to cut, although because someone very close to me, years back, was a cutter, I worked to understand. I was told that some people cut because the pain it gives is a release, which then takes over the inner pain. I only understood this on the surface. This book will help you understand deeper than that, and it is with that understanding that you can help a sufferer begin to heal.

Kathleen Glasgow has gifted us with a close look at depression and the journey it takes to get through it. She’s given us a safe opportunity to feel it from the inside out, to experience it in a way that we won’t forget. But she’s also blessed us with the joy of witnessing the transformation of healing. What a journey this book has been!

Happy reading!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Debi - I know I've never been able to understand people cutting themselves ... and continuing to do so ... but appreciate it happens and so feel for them. This sounds like an informative and necessary read - thank you for the introduction - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debi, I'm enjoying your A-Z book review posts. I looked up this author via my library's audiobook app - sadly this book is not available. However, I have put a hold on "You'd Be Home Now" - it sounds intriguing. Thanks.

    Sending smiles, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying my reviews. I have no doubt "You'd Be Home Now " will be a good read.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like the kind of book I would have read as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This probably hits too close to home for me to be reading, but its nice to know this type of literature is out there to raise awareness and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. And it definitely raises both. I hope you and yours found good supports.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like an important book to read.

    ReplyDelete