Tuesday, April 2, 2024

B — BLINK written by K.L. Slater; reviewed by Debi O’Neille

 This is the book that made me a K.L. Slater fan. That said, it put a lot, if not all, of her books in my personal library.

BLINK is a psychological thriller, which tells the story of a woman’s five-year-old daughter gone missing three years earlier. Despite there being no trace of the missing child, the mother believes her daughter is still alive, yet she can't communicate that. She is desperate to get her message across.

This book gives both thrills and nightmares, and all in a well-paced yet fast read. It’s only at the end of the novel that you realize how deep this story dives into the old adage that nothing is as it seems.

If you’re one of those mystery buffs who can usually figure out “whodunit” in the early chapters of a novel, prepare to be fooled. I’m one such buff. Now me, I don’t like spoiler alerts (so I won’t give any), but they don’t bother my husband. We’ll be ten minutes into a movie and he’ll say, “Okay, Deb, who did it?” And then we watch the rest of the movie together to see how it plays out. When I’m right, and modesty prevents me from saying how often that is, he smiles and shakes his head. But either I’m now losing my edge, or this book was written from a golden throne of undetectable red herrings and subtle truths so expertly woven into the twistiest of turns that no sleuth will ever see what’s coming.

I dare you to try. Seriously. Read the book, and don’t read any of the Amazon or other reviews, because there are too many spoilers.

Happy Reading!

Note that for this blog-hop, I am posting my reviews of books I've read in 2023 through the present, or reviews by freelance copy editor Amanda Ruzsa, Blood of My Pen

7 comments:

  1. I haven't read any K.L. Slater books but I do love a good psychological thriller. Adding it my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you read this one, I'm sure you'll be reading more of her books. :-) Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  2. This book sounds really good. I'm usually disappointed if i can figure out who did it, i'd like to be tricked.
    Idea-ist@GetLostInLit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly. :-) Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  3. Hi Debi - well you've encouraged me ... it's now on my library list - so thank you ... it'll be an interesting read by the sound of it. I can never guess who dunnit! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'll like it. It's always fun to try and guess whodunit. :-) Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debi - yes it was riveting ... and seriously convoluted - I didn't try and guess ... I'd have failed! Interesting read - thank you ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete