Thursday, April 11, 2024

J — JUST ONE LOOK, written by Harlan Coben; reviewed by Debi O’Neille

Published by Dutton Books

Wow. That’s the first word that always comes to mind after reading a Harlan Coben novel, and JUSTONE LOOK is probably at the top of that wow-list.

Because I’d already read many of his books, I dove into this one thinking I’d have the mystery part figured out fairly soon. Hah! As for the premise, Grace Lawon picks up a set of family photographs she’s had developed, and one of the snapshots isn’t hers. At least, not to her knowledge. It’s a photo from twenty years ago, and yet there’s a guy in it who looks an awful lot like her husband, Jack. When he denies that the photo is of him, you’ll barely have time to pop a potato chip into your mouth when he turns up missing. Gone. 

Something about that photograph is very important to someone, and Grace needs to figure out what before she, or someone else, ends up gone, too.

As is his style, Coben fills the story with twisty turns and surprising outcomes. The biggest twist rears up at the end, nothing you’ll see coming even if you’re used to his style. Don’t start this book on a day you have a lot to get done. Seriously. Once you pick up JUST ONE LOOK, it won’t let go of you, not even once you’ve finished it.

Happy reading!

15 comments:

  1. I am so going to have check these out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely will not get bored with this one. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I have read a few Harlen Coben novels and really enjoyed them. I haven't read "Just One Look" yet. Recently, my husband and I started watching the Harlen Coben Netflix series. Really good to,

    Stopping in from A-to-Z: https://brewingcoffeetwistingwordsbreakingpencils.ca/2024/04/11/jigsaw-puzzle/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watched a few of them too, and I watched the young adult ones starring Myron's nephew (Mickey?) on Amazon. Surprisingly, though I love the young adult genre, I read the novel Shelter and one other one with the main character being Myron Bolitar's nephew. Hate to say it, but Harlan doesn't write young adult suspense as well as he writes adult suspense, imho.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thanks for sharing this. I haven't read anything by him in awhile, but I used to devour his work. Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't read him in a while either until I came across this one that I had missed. I'm glad I read it.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Read this one when you're in the mood for something fast-paced but still great at characterization.

      Delete
  6. This soundds like my kind of mystery, adding it to my pile! thank you for the recc!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good mystery. I'll have to add it to my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had to develop photos in forever - needed to check out the publication date - 2004. Developing in the 1990s took determination to hunt down a place, I can't imagine 10 years later. The story sounds amazing thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I develop photos once in a while, or I did when my husband's best friend was around. He was a photographer and did a wonderful job. I don't like to print my own photos, so we always take them somewhere to get enlargements made.

      Delete