Saturday, April 13, 2024

L — LAYLA, written by Colleen Hoover; reviewed by Debi O’Neille

Published by Montlake, an imprint of Amazon Publishing.

Let me stop any negative thoughts right now. You may assume that because LAYLA is published through an imprint of Amazon Publishing that it’s the same quality as less than stellar self-published books. Not so. First, many self-published books have found their way into my list of faves, and I’m picky.

And, I loved the book!

Second, LAYLA is published through a real publishing house and underwent the critical editing that all good books receive. And, I loved the book!

Third, Colleen Hoover has also been published by Grand Central publishing (imprint of Hachette Book Group), a house that has also published Nicolas Sparks, and Hoover  has been published by Atria Books, who has also published Jodi Picoult. Sparks and Picoult. two major winners in the writing world, both had novels made into films. Hoover’s book “It Ends With Us” is expected as a movie in theaters coming out this June and later to stream on Netflix.

And, did I mention I loved LAYLA?

The story revolves around the lives of the people affected by a car accident that takes place a few years before the novel begins. Kenna, the driver, was under the influence. She was also in the early stages of pregnancy, and therefore gave birth while in prison. She lost a lot, but one thing she clutched with her might, the hope that the day would come that she’d reconnect with her daughter. Four years later she was released from prison and meets someone else affected by the accident, someone who unknowingly becomes close to her.

LAYLA is well-paced, beautifully written story that speaks largely of love, expectations, disappointment and a whole lot of heartbreak tastefully sprinkled with hope. Hoover is a master at taking a raw subject and laying it out in front of you in a three-dimensional world you cannot walk away from. You’ll be asking yourself who’s unstable, and who isn’t.

There’s so much to explore in this novel, but I’ll shut up now so I don’t spoil the experience you’ll get from reading it. It’s a keeper.

Happy reading!

12 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of her books. The descriptions just haven't grabbed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "who's unstable and who isnt" I love those kinds of questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen Hoover has a really interesting history with writing, publishing and marketing her work. I have such respect for her as a writer although the few books I read early in her career I felt needed more editing. Amazon puts out some fantastic books, and the nice thing is they're all on their KDP program, meaning they're free to those who belong to their monthly Kindle subscription.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed some of their books needing a little more editing too.

      Delete
  4. I'm not familiar with this work or the author but it sounds extremely well written. Thanks for sharing. Have a grand weekend.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book surprised me, and I guess when a book can do that, I'm hooked.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any novels by Colleen Hoover. I will have to check this one out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like one that will grab the heartstrings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a lot of them for this A-to-Z hop that really talked at the heart strings. :-)

      Delete