Wednesday, April 10, 2024

I — INCIDENTS AROUND THE HOUSE written by Josh Malerman; reviewed by Amanda Ruzsa

Published by Del Rey, an imprint of Penguin Random House.

PREORDER NOW — RELEASES JUNE 25, 2024

INCIDENTS AROUND THE HOUSE got to me. Got inside me, my brain, my heart. I went in fairly blind, and I think that’s the best way to go into this book. It is haunting. It is heart wrenching. It is terrifying to the point of dreading every dark corner, every shadow in the furthest limits of your peripheral vision. The narrator couldn’t have been written any better. I was absolutely mesmerized.

So realistic was this book that I felt I knew the characters; hell, I cared for the characters, but sometimes hated them, yet quickly warmed up to them, and so on, and so forth. Amazing characterization throughout this book. And the incidents around the house? I won’t forget them anytime soon. Reading them gave my brain an incantation to produce a visual of absolutely every detail, as that’s how well they are written. And six little words will forever flash into my brain in moments of peace, because they are burned into my memory from fear and great waves of sadness. INCIDENTS AROUND THE HOUSE would definitely make an excellent film.

Enjoy the read!

AmandaRuzsa, Blood of my Pen, freelance copy editor





11 comments:

  1. It sounds more intense than I may have time to give it right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understood. I'm reading a book right now that's taking way more time than I have, and I end up reading while unfocused.

      Delete
  2. I like a story that gets in under my skin though right now I'm just wanting fluff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that. My reading tastes have moods, too.

      Delete
  3. I read the first part and I am hooked. This will be really great!
    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side: 2024 A to Z of Dungeons & Dragons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Sounds great. I assuming it's horror, right? IN any case, another book has just been added to my TBR standby list. Thanks for the recommendation.
    https://dacairns.com.au/blog/f/a-to-z-blogging-challenge-j

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda read the book, so I'm sure it's for. I usually get to page three or four of the books she recommends. :-)

      You can see some of her other reviews here: Amanda read the book, so I'm sure it's for. I usually get to page three or four of the books she recommends. :-)

      You can see some of her other reviews here: Amanda read the book, so I'm sure it's for. I usually get to page three or four of the books she recommends. :-)

      You can see some of her other reviews here: https://www.instagram.com/bloodofmypen?igsh=MWNuNGMya3d1cm9xMg%3D%3D&utm_source=qr

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With the type of folklore posts I've been doing this month, I'm sure I should be sticking to light and happy books right now. LOL.

    Ronel visiting for I: My Languishing TBR: I
    Incubus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. If I were you I'd be sleeping with the lights on for a month. :-)

      Delete