Tuesday, April 23, 2024

T — THE CASE OF THE VANISHING CONMAN, written by Mithran Somasundrum, and THE FAMILY ACROSS THE STREET, written by Nicole Trope, reviewed by Debi O’Neille and Amanda Ruzsa, respectively.

THE CASE OF THE VANISHING CONMAN, published by Joffe Books, LTD.

I first read Mithran Somasundrum’s writing fifteen or twenty years ago through an online (writing) critique group. We haven’t kept in touch, but I do remember how his writing stood out among many members. I always scanned the list of submissions for his name, knowing that if I critiqued his story, he’d likely critique mine. The truth is, even if he hadn’t (and polite as he is, he always did), my time would’ve been well spent reading his work. So when I was recently browsing through titles for something to read and saw his name on a book, excitement rose up in me as if I had just won a Pulitzer.

Mithran has had many short stories published over the years in well-known publications such as Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine, The Sun, and one close to my home turf, The Minnesota Review, and I’ve enjoyed every one that I’ve read. I could go on and on raving about his writing and accomplishments, but for now, let me tell you about his book THE CASE OF THE VANISHING CONMAN. Talk about attention to detail, Mithran takes it to a new level. His story takes place in Bangkok, and the way he mentions different Thai foods and paints vivid pictures of teak trees and noodle carts, Mithran puts you right there—comfortable in an unfamiliar culture—with his main character, Vijay, who pounds the streets looking for the truths.

Owing some nasty people a lot of money, Vijay plans to pull himself out of debt by serving the area as a translator. But he’s just starting out and the money isn’t coming in fast enough, so he doubles as a private investigator. He ends up with three cases going at once, not knowing until later that they are interrelated.

Between translations and detective work, Vijay is a master juggler. He’s working for a crime boss who wants his name cleared since a soon-to-be published book shows him in a bad light, and at the same time, the crime boss’s wife hires Vijay to do a little snooping into her husband’s love life. Working both sides of a marriage involving a crime boss? What could possibly go wrong?

And then there’s the case leading Vijay from one character to another trying to uncover what happened to the conman.

But crime bosses, jealous spouses, and missing people aren’t all that will keep mystery lovers turning the pages; Mithran also throws in a murder to be solved. THE CASE OF THE VANISHING CONMAN offers excellent tension, striking detail, and just enough humor to keep the story lively. Vijay, the translator — detective, is an absolutely lovable character with a great sense of humor. I sure hope to see him in more stories.

Mithran has two other books out, which I haven’t read yet, but I most certainly will soon. THE CALCULATOR AND OTHER STORIES is his collection of short stories (currently free on Amazon Kindle format), all previously published in Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine. THE MASK UNDER MY FACE: A Novel is also ready for your enjoyment. I can’t wait to read every page. I’ll be reviewing these works sometime in the future.

AND NOW…

THE FAMILY ACROSS THE STREET, written by Nicole Trope; reviewed by Amanda Ruzsa, Blood of My Pen

Published by Bookouture.

I finished reading this psychological thriller in just one day, and I was absolutely immersed in it. The unexpected twists continuously took me by surprise, and I'm sure it will have the same effect on you. The imagery is so well-written that pieces of this story crept into my dreams!

I highly recommend giving THE FAMILY ACROSS THE STREET a read. It had me on the edge of my seat throughout, evoking unease, anxiety, and intense mental battles. The characters are so vividly portrayed that I found myself connecting with them as if they were real people. This book ignited a sense of fear and anguish in me that cannot be ignored. Trust me, you won't regret picking it up.

Enjoy the read! Amanda Ruzsa, Blood ofMy Pen

8 comments:

  1. I wasn't familiar with either of these books, but I'm now intrigued with both. Thanks for the reviews and have a grand day.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love good use of imagery. thanks for the recc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vijay does sound like a character I'd like to meet. The family I'd want to know from a distance, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked up the free collection but I'm going to but The Case of Vanishing Conman on my list to recommend to my mystery book club.

    ReplyDelete